Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Getting somewhere

Here's my new beauty!
This one's going pretty fast only because...
I'm using 10" squares!

I laid two 10" squares together.
Right sides UP.

Made four diagonal cuts.
I imagined rays from the sun as I cut.
I DID NOT mark....
That makes it so much more FUN!!!
I tried not to get too close to any of the corners!
That way I won't have too many seams in ONE place.

I lay them out like this.

Sew them together.
They do not turn into SQUARE blocks at this point.

You have to trim them!
In a perfect world they should be 9"...
but mine are 8 3/4".
Am I concerned?

They look kind of nice on point too....huh?

Is there a name for this block?
I'd kind of like to name mine


  1. Terrific free piecing idea! You are just so wonderfully clever! Always love coming here and see just how much fun you're always having!!!

  2. I thought 2 blocks looked good yesterday. More are awesome! This will be a great quilt!

  3. Oh, Beth, they are wonderful! You inspire me every day!

  4. It looks so great..on point is fun too! Thanks for the tips. I have a layer cake lying around....would it work with that?

  5. I love this! I bet these make up pretty quickly. Looking forward to seeing a whole top of them!

  6. Beth,

    This is terrific. And I absolutely LOVE the various fabrics you used on the blocks. Keep up the great work.


  7. I love these blocks! Thanks for the tutorial!

  8. Wow...these are striking blocks. Your color choices are fantastic. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial. Hugs

  9. Oh, I like these, Beth! I love anything that is a stack and whack type. So much fun.
    Hugs, Deborah

  10. I smiled because as I read, and before I read your final comment about the name you want to give it, I thought, doesn't that just remind me of rays of sunshine?
    I love the block.

  11. I love these "free blocks"!!!You are right: they look like rays and they are beautiful!

  12. They look like a ray of sunshine! Fabulous!

  13. The colors look great! Reminds me of a Grandmother's Fan pattern gone modern. :)

  14. Really beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

  15. I was told about your blog from a driend and might I say that I think that I am totally hooked! You are a very talented lady who likes to think outside the box and it is such a breath of fresh air..thank you